Coconut Almond Ginger Protein Shake
A luscious creamy protein shake that contains almonds, coconut, cinnamon and Balance 100% Whey Vanilla powder. Gives this shake a mix of protein and good fats and a delicious way to treat yourself.
For the nuts:
For the shake:
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 2 cups warm water
- The night before: Combine almonds, coconut, 2 cups warm water, and salt in a container.
- Make sure the nuts are completely covered with water, if not, add more water. Cover and let sit 8 hours or overnight at room temperature.
- This is a key step as it will help you activate the nuts, breaking down the naturally occurring phytic acid which can cause bloating and other digestive issues. It also activates the enzymes in the nuts, again making them easier for your body to digest.
- In the morning: To prepare shake, drain the almonds and coconut from the soaking water. Discard the water and add the soaked almonds and coconut to a blender.
- Add 2 cups filtered cold water to a blender along with ice, protein powder, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla, and coconut butter or oil. Puree until very smooth (about 4 minutes with a conventional blender).
- If you prefer a thinner shake, you can pass through a fine sieve to remove the almond meal, though I like the additional fibrE.
- Sweeten if desired and serve immediately. (I don't as the natural sweetness of the nuts, coconut, and whey is enough for me.)
Variation:If you prefer, you can skip using whole nuts and simply replace the 2 cups of cold water in the shake with 1 cup of boxed coconut milk and 1 cup of almond milk, and proceed from there.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Recipes & Nutrition