Mountain climbers might not be the most loved bodyweight exercise, but they are undoubtedly one of the most effective. They hammer your quads and force you to engage your core. They're often used as a supplemental movement, but today they serve a different purpose. Mountain climbers are the entire workout. Enjoy!
This quick workout combines three different types of mountain climbers: single leg, twisting, and the traditional version everyone loves to hate. It's designed as a circuit, meaning that you won't rest between exercises. Take your rest after you finish all five exercises.
We recommend running through there rounds of this workout, but there's definitely some wiggle room. Beginners can choose two rounds, while the more advanced crowd can tackle four rounds.
There are a few big points to remember about the mountain climber...
- Try to maintain a straight line from your head to your heels. You'll probably want to push your head towards the ground and pop your hips into the air, but don't. Just don't.
- Mountain climbers are an inherently tough exercise because of the position. However, you can drastically affect the difficulty by adjusting your tempo. Remember this.
- If you start to get beat up, it's okay to simply hold the plank position. Rest your legs for a second or two, then start again.
1. Single Leg Mountain Climber (one side): 15 seconds
2. Twisting Mountain Climber: 15 seconds
3. Mountain Climber: 60 seconds
4. Twisting Mountain Climber: 15 seconds
5. Single Leg Mountain Climber (other side): 15 seconds